Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rules for Engagement

Friends, colleagues and relatives often send me forwarded propoganda and hate-mongering fear messages. As I’ve probably already said, I’ve grown intolerant of listening to the endless spin, drivel, half-truths and outright lies, perpetuated by PR firms operating covertly as grassroots players, and putting the interest of corporate profits ahead of the life, liberty and happiness of “we the people”. I have been on a quest to become more informed and more involved. I write to my congressman and senators frequently. I call the White House and I contact the majority leader in both houses as well as recalcitrant members of congress on both sides of the aisle. I rarely get direct responses, but I do believe that my position is being recorded and is having an impact on the decision making of my representatives. I feel better for doing it and not sitting on my hands. I may be delusional for thinking that I’m making a difference, but I’m doing it anyway.

I often take the time to reply to some of the aforementioned emails and go to great lengths to debunk, point out the flawed logic and otherwise call "bullshit". It seems at times, that it may be a worthless enterprise and that I'm never going to move any of these entrenched foot-soldiers to a new position. For the most part I can't even convince them to look or listen to other viewpoints. I'm not on a mission to convert people, but I would like to influence others to be more thoughtful and to not blindly accept viral email information. That said, I find it theraputic to work through my own thought process by responding in a very deliberate way. I often spend more time than I should researching the sources and opinions on all sides of a particular issue. Sometimes, rarely I expose a crack in the defenses and let in a glimmer of light. I'll get a polite "thank you", or an "interesting point" response.  

I am watchful for viewing the world through my own prisms as well. Becoming too convinced about being absolutely right on any issue is a surefire sign that I’m missing something, or choosing to discount the reasoned position of others. An article I received this week, from a right wing blog called American Thinker, is indicative of the divisive nature of the public debate today. It’s troubling that so many people, speaking in public forums, do not possess the civility and intellectual wherewithal to be able to put forward their point of view without making ad hominem attacks, on those who are ideologically opposed. Differences of opinion are cultivated by any number of factors. Believing a different thing does not make you a bad person. We all arrive at some place with our beliefs, based on personal experience, the beliefs of our parents, friends, and teachers. We often arrive at an issues debate with a predisposition towards one side and rarely give quarter to the other. I’ve been working very hard at taking in the entire picture and remaining calm under fire.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I applaud your efforts, my friend. I only recently wrote (by hand, following the advice of a Robert Reich video) my first letters to my state senators.

I'm fond of the quote, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it." (This is said to be by Gandhi, but there's no evidence for it.)